Millions of people suffer with allergy problems, in the US alone, more than 50 million Americans have nasal allergies, according to Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). Allergy is the 5th leading chronic disease in the U.S. among all ages, and the 3rdmost common chronic disease among children under 18 years old. The best way to prevent allergy symptoms and minimize your need for allergy medicine is to avoid your allergens as much as possible and to eliminate the source of allergens from your home and other environments.
- The annual cost of allergies is estimated to be nearly $14.5 billion.
- Nearly 85% ($12.3 billion) is for direct costs including $1.3 billion for doctor office visits and $11 billion for medications ($7 billion prescription, $4 billion over-the-counter).
- Indirect costs of allergy (missed work or school, lost productivity, death, etc.) account for approximately $2.2 billion (15%) of the total annual cost of allergies in the U.S.
- For adults, allergies (hay fever) is the 5th leading chronic disease and a major cause of work absenteeism and “presenteeism,” resulting in nearly 4 million missed or lost workdays each year, resulting in a total cost of more than $700 million in total lost productivity.
I am confident you will find the suggestions in this post to be helpful with prepping your environment to reduce allergy problems.
There are a number of things you can do to your environment to help reduce allergy problems:
- 1. Keep windows closed and use air conditioning if you're allergic to pollen. Don't use fans since they can stir up dust. If you do use fans clean them often.
- 2. Filter the air. Cover air conditioning vents with cheesecloth to filter pollen and use high efficiency particulate air filters. Clean air filters frequently and air ducts at least once a year.
- 3. Clean the grate to your refrigertator once a quarter, it's a magnet to collect dust and dirt.
Be sure to follow our Feed on Facebook for tenant, owner and property maintenance tips. We invite you to post your suggestions as well! Learn more about Showcase Property Management Services services at Rent With Karen